Skip to main content

American engaged to canadian and want to live in canada

Pittsburgh, PA |
Filed under: Immigration

Hello, currently i am engaged to my fiance in the US, however, we would like to start a life here. I am confused abou the process in the common law partner.. If he lives here for a i have to sponser him before he comes? or does that happen after he has been here for a year?

Also, what is done at the border to actually allow him to stay for a year? i would think that they would find that kind of odd. Please help with any advice. Thank you

Attorney Answers 1


If you want have someone immigrate to Canada, I suggest contacting a Canadian-based immigration attorney. At the risk of violating all of Avvo's rules and regulations, here are the first three immigration attorneys with Vancouver B.C. phone numbers. Coincidentally, they are all members of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, and can all refer you to Canadian immigration barristers if they are unwilling to help you themselves. Their main offices may or may not be in the US, but they all absolutely will know Canadian immigration barristers who may or may not be willing to help you...
David Andersson 604-608-0818
Kenneth Ing 604-643-3158
Michael Jacobsen 604-736-3200

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics