Skip to main content

American citizen illegally deported. Can i still claim my American citizenship?

Mcallen, TX |

My mother and grandmother are American citizens, both born American territory, I was born in 71, Since 73 I lived in the U.S. as a permanent resident, In 93 I committed a felony, the felony was ''Indecency with a child'' they gave me 10 years of probation, of which only compliance with 3 years, because I violate probation, and put me in prison for 18 months, after 18 months I was deported in 96, they would not let me an immigration lawyer, I explain to the judge that he could not deport me because I was an American citizen for my mother, after deport me I re-enter through customs, 3 months later the police arrested me, no immigration, and put me in prison for 8 years for reentry to U.S. in 2004 I was deported again and they threatened to give me 20 years of jail if I was returning to U.S

my mother was born in 1944, I have 2 older brothers who are naturalized citizens, my dad is also naturalized American citizen, when we were born my parents were not married, they married at 72 in U.S, but my brothers and I are legitimized in mexico.

Attorney Answers 3


You might have a claim to US citizenship. You should contact an experienced immigration attorney for a private consultation. You can find several here on avvo.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


If you are a citizen, then the deportation was illegal. Hire an immigration attorney for a complete analysis of your case.

Please note that this posting does not constitute legal advice or create any attorney-client relationship with the inquirer. Avvo is a useful forum to obtain general information on legal issues, but is not a substitute for direct, confidential consultation with an attorney in any legal matter.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


You may have a claim to citizenship. It is best to have a private consultation with an immigration attorney.

Alexus P. Sham-The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics