Am up for "driving without a license" in State of Maine - possible to keep it off record?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Burlington, MA

I had a speeding ticket in '97 - alas, unpaid - paid it in 2011 to renew license. Was stopped in Maine in November (tail light out). Turns out, I was STILL unlicensed because my wife hadn't paid two parking tickets - still, car registered to me. Scheduled for a 1/19 hearing, in criminal court - ?! I don't want a misdemeanor conviction to turn up on CORI checks. Do I need a lawyer with me on Jan. 19? Any way to plead guilty BUT keep it off traceable records? (I am guilty.) Thanks kindly, D

1. Erin Jordan Harris

5

Answered . First, you should not admit that you are guilty - it is the state's burden to prove that. Second, you should post this question in Maine to get the most accurate answer.

That being said, I handled a similar matter for a Massachusetts resident who had an unpaid parking ticket from when he had gone to college in Maine that resulted in his right to operate in Maine being revoked. He had a valid license in Massachusetts and when on vacation in Maine he was pulled over for speeding and the old suspension came up. The prosecutor handling the case was willing to dismiss the charges without his presence in Court once we produced documentation to demonstrate that he had taken care of the old ticket and new ticket and that he had made a donation to a Maine based charity in the amount of $150 in lieu of court costs. You should contact a local attorney who practices in the Court in which your case is pending to see if there are any alternative dispositions such as the one I referenced above, which might be available to you.

2. David George Thomas

2

Answered . You should contact a lawyer immediately. If the prosecutor is not willing to dismiss, you may be able to get it continued without a finding if you pay the to tickets. That should not come up in a Cori check.