Am on removal proceedings because am out of status and was working illegally without authorization.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Kansas City, MO

in the job application i said i was a citizen which i was charged with.i went to the immigration court last week and the judge told me it was a serious case and he gave me a one year extension but he told me next time i should be ready to leave the country.i have a fiance and we getting ready to get married is there a way i can fight the case and avoid being deported?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Michael Haven

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . My recommendation is to sit down, in person, with an experienced attorney in your area. In my opinion, this forum is not the best approach to dealing with such a serious immigration issue. Falsely claiming to be a US Citizen is a very serious charge and could potentially bar you from obtaining any future immigration benefits.

  2. Danny Garmo

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Hire a experienced immigration lawyer to help you out. Claiming to be a U.S. Citizen when you are not is a SERIOUS OFFENSE!! Seek attorney representation immediately!!

    Garmo Law Group, PLLC (Michigan) 248-626-0050. This advice is only general in nature and does not constitute an... more

Related Topics

Immigration court

Immigration court is a division of the US Department of Justice that oversees and decides cases involving immigrants facing deportation.

Deportation process

The deportation process can be long and frustrating, but there are some important things to remember as you navigate the immigration courts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,357 answers this week

3,329 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,357 answers this week

3,329 attorneys answering