Skip to main content

Am LPR since Apr 09, came to the US under a special immigrant visa, if I marry an Iraqi, whats the processing time to get here?

Denver, CO |

Am willing to get marry in April and my wife to be shall wait in Jordan, if I file I-130 and inform the NVC that I want to transfer it to the IOM in Jordan for processing after the initial approval from the NVC, how long the process should take from the day I file the I-130 ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If the current times stay the same it will be about 3-4 years wait for an immigrant visa to be available. However, once you become a U.S. Citizen he will not have to wait and will be able to come within a year after you file for him as U.S. Citizen or update your petition to show that you are U.S. Citizen. You can file to become a U.S. Citizen when you have had your greencard for 5 years.

Andre Olivie, Esq.

Legal disclaimer: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Do not rely on this advice without speaking to an immigration attorney in detail about your case. This message does not create an attorney-client relationship.


It will depend on the progress of the F2A priority dates for Iraq. For March, only priority dates earlier than July 22, 2009 are current.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I agree with attorney Olivie.


Khaja M. Din, Esq.
Din | Memmen, Inc.


Chicago Office
4518 North Kedzie Avenue
Chicago, IL 60625

Madison Office — By Appointment Only
Main Street Justice
354 West Main Street
Madison, WI 53703

No client-attorney relationship is being created by this posting. Please contact an attorney with questions about your case and to verify the statements made herein before acting upon them.


Processing times can vary depending on visa usage and government delays. While the current wait is approximately three years. Your spouse may wait more or less than this. If you are eligible to naturalize, you might be able to speed this process up. I recommend sitting down with a qualified immigration attorney to discuss your options and the possibility of filing now while you are an LPR and then naturalizing as soon as you are eligible.

Bryon M. Large, Senior Attorney Joseph Law Firm, P.C. (303) 297-9171

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer