Am I still liable for medical and dental for my child over age 19 if I keep paying the same amount of child support?

Asked over 4 years ago - Steamboat Springs, CO

One child is 19 and the other is 17. In Colorado, the age support ends is 19. Instead of going to court to reduce the support from 2 to 1 child and I keep paying the same amount, am I still liable to continue the medical insurance and expenses not paid by insurance for the older child?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Suzanne Griffiths

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Emancipation occurs and an order for child support terminates when a child attains nineteen years of age, unless the child is then mentally or physically disabled or is still attending high school. If you have two children you will need to file a motion to modify the order at this time or you will have to continue paying the full child support for the remaining child.

    Once your child is emancipated you have no obligation to pay any health insurance premiums for the emancipated child or to cover his/her uninsured health expenses. As a matter of practice many parents pay these expenses anyway, although there is no legal obligation to do so.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,553 answers this week

2,367 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,553 answers this week

2,367 attorneys answering