Am I responsible to pay rent after apt flooded and had to move out. Continue to have no power, no heat etc?

Seaford, NY |

Oct 29, 2012. NY storm "Sandy" left 3 inches of salt water in apt. Had to rip out all wall to wall rugs b/c saturated (smell, mold, etc). Did work myself with landlord permission. Moved out 10-29, left some furniture until repairs made. Drywall soaked up water approximately 3 or 4 ft above floor, so needs replacement. Still no electric or heat in apt.(or entire neighborhood). Landlord demands rent for Nov even though I'm unable to live there. No flood insurance. Am I liable for rent payment?

No, you are not required to pay rent. The storm has resulted in a constructive eviction since the premises are no longer safe or inhabitable and there is no heat, hot water or electric. Send your landlord a letter stating that the premises are uninhabitable due to the storm and stating the extent of the damages and no power or heat. Document the damages with photos etc. and request to break the lease if you have one and a return of your security deposit if any. Then find a new place to live.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

Thanks so much, he's not going to be a happy camper!

Landlord-tenant topics