Am I responsible if someone gets bit breaking up a dog fight my dog was in, on the other persons property?

Irrigon, OR |

My dog got lose went to my uncles house , according to him this triggered a dog fight between his two dogs and ours. He stuck his hand in the middle of the fight and got bit. Does not know which dog bit him. But feels we are responsible for the bills because our dog is what triggered it.

1. You're responsible if your dog bit him, but if he doesn't know which dog, you're not necessarily responsible just because your dog was involved. Dogs are dogs. Why not offer to split the bill(s) with him?

2. Potentially yes. Even if it wasn't your dog that bit him, he could make the argument that you're responsible for letting the dog get into his yard, which (you could reasonably have anticipated) triggered the fight with his dogs, and caused the injury. But if you apologize, offer to help him with his bill, and take steps to avoid this happening again, then he may not feel the need to file any lawsuit - and even if he does, then if you've acted to reduce any actual damage he's suffered, you're better off. You can only sue for damage you've truly incurred.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: jay@northwestlawoffice.com | Online: www.northwestlawoffice.com

3. You are indeed responsible for your dog so I would report the claim to your homeowners policy. I agree with Mr. cammisar that splitting the bills is an equitable solution.

4. Simply report it to your homeowners insurance carrier to resolve.