Am I responsible for veterinary bills ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Downingtown, PA

Am I responsible for veterinary bills for a dog who was attacked and injured by my dog , when the owner of the injured dog walked straight up to me and my dog to be sociable .

1. Dev K Sethi

Pro

6

Answered . Maybe... You don't say if your dog was leashed and where you were. Those may be factors.

In PA much depends on the severity of the injuries and your dog's history. Generally, dogs are personal property and the owner is responsible for damages the animal causes. Many states hold owners strictly liable for injuries caused by dog bites -- to people or other dogs.

However, PA remains a state where the history of the dog and the owner's knowledge of the dog comes into play.

Putting the results of a legal conflict to the side, if your dog attacked another dog, the right thing to do might be apologize and pay the vet bill.

If things do escalate, you should report the claim to your homeowner's insurance company, if you have such coverage.

Pro

4

Answered . Simply turn it over to your homeowners insurance carrier to resolve. 1/3 of all homeowners claims are dog bite injuries to other dogs and people.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  3. Sean Michael Patrick

4

Answered . Generally if it was an unprovoked attack you would be liable.

4. George Costas Andriotis

3

Answered . Under those facts it appears you would be liable as it was an unprovoked attack.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.