Am I responsible for the medical bills of my deceased husband?

Asked over 1 year ago - Cincinnati, OH

Insurance company failed to pay his medical bill. My husband passed away in April, 2012.

1. Robert John Willis

Pro

Answered . Ohio has a law called the “Necessities” law. It requires a spouse to pay for certain items, including medical bills, for a spouse. If there is not money in the estate to cover these expenses, you should call the providers and try to negotiate the amount. Tell them your story and see what they will do for you.

2. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

Answered . In most states, spouses are responsible to pay each others medical debts. Remember the wedding vows were "for better for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness & in health." If your husband left an estate that is eligible for probate, the medical debts can be paid through probate instead of by you. Hope this perspective helps!