Am I responsible for parties and drinking at my rental property?

Asked over 2 years ago - Ottawa, IL

Would I or my tennants be held responsible if someone got hurt or killed after drinking on my rental proberty? I am the Home owner and rent the house.

1. Barry Cahn Boykin

3

Answered . The question of a landlord's legal responsibility for a tenant's activities depends on a number of specific facts: Was the landlord hosting the party where the drinking occurred? Were there underage guests at the drinking party, (e.g. illegal activity)?

To be safe, a landlord should review his rental agreement with a lawyer prior to signing on a tenant to make sure that necessary and proper conditions are made known to the tenant at the time of the signing of the rental agreement. If a tenant violates the conditions, this is the basis of a possible eviction.

A landlord who is aware of illegal activities that take place at a property he or she owns exposes him or herself to potential liability in the worst case scenario.

In the absence of illegal activities, a tenant generally is responsible for his or her own reckless conduct, but the landlord should always take what precautions are prudent.

2. J. Richard Kulerski

Answered . Probably not.