Am I responsible for parties and drinking at my rental property?

Ottawa, IL |

Would I or my tennants be held responsible if someone got hurt or killed after drinking on my rental proberty? I am the Home owner and rent the house.

1. The question of a landlord's legal responsibility for a tenant's activities depends on a number of specific facts: Was the landlord hosting the party where the drinking occurred? Were there underage guests at the drinking party, (e.g. illegal activity)?

To be safe, a landlord should review his rental agreement with a lawyer prior to signing on a tenant to make sure that necessary and proper conditions are made known to the tenant at the time of the signing of the rental agreement. If a tenant violates the conditions, this is the basis of a possible eviction.

A landlord who is aware of illegal activities that take place at a property he or she owns exposes him or herself to potential liability in the worst case scenario.

In the absence of illegal activities, a tenant generally is responsible for his or her own reckless conduct, but the landlord should always take what precautions are prudent.

The information provided here should not be construed to be formal legal advice. The provision of this general advice does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Persons with legal questions are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice regarding their individual legal issues.

2. Probably not.