Am I responsible for my husbands medical bills?

Wooster, OH |

My husband has several thousands of dollars in medical bills and also a car that he purchased and was repossessed and they are trying to collect from him. All of this is in only his name. I filed for divorce in December of 2009.. Since my name is not on any of this debt, am I responsible to pay for it?

1. As long as the car loan was only in his name, you are not legally responsible for the debt. Unfortunately, a spouse in Ohio CAN be held to be legally responsible for medical debts of a spouse incurred during the marriage. I have not, until recently, seen medical providers pursue this way of collecting, but have been seeing it recently.

I hope this information is helpful.

Erin Kick, Esq.
    Kick & Gilman, LLC
    133 South Market Street
    Loudonville, OH 44842

www.OhioBankruptcyAnswers.com

www.KickAndGilman.com

419-994-4892
    866-994-4892 (toll free)

2. In the Mansfield area, I have seen debt collectors and medical providers attempt to collect medical debts from spouses (and sometimes from non-spouse partners, which is not appropriate normally). Whether a spouse is legally responsible for the other's medical debt depends on whether the treatment was necessary, and on the financial position of each of the spouses. If you are sued on your ex-husband's medical debt, or car loan, you should consult an attorney right away. For consumer debt issues, you should see www.naca.net