Am I responsible for my Husbands back taxes if we file separated ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Bridgewater, NJ

I own my business and he owns his . I pay all my taxes in time penny by penny separated income tax . . We acquired a house during ours marriage which I'm the solo owner . I want to split 50 / 50 and he wants undefined , plus taking more many before it to pay his debts , his allegations are that he owns many to IRS and also he has a lot debts based to his business . I live in NJ , and I know that he has to sign to sale the house , but he also has not paying the mortgage in time how we had agreed when we bought it and my credit has been affected by it . I know his wages are a lot more than my and he hides it from me and from the government . What should I do and how to find out how to handle this ? I'm definitely desperate to get out of this mess . Thank you !

1. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

2

1

Answered . Lawyers are not tax experts unless they are tax lawyers!

If you filed all returns as "married, filing separately" then your accounts as separate and you each have your own tax debt. If any of these returns were filed "married, filing jointly" that is a different story, but you do have some possible options for relief in that case. The distribution of assets in divorce is a separate but related issue.

2. David F Salvaggio

Pro

2

Answered . The issue of whether you are responsible for your husband's back taxes depends on the unique facts of your case.

Ultimately, you will need to get advice from a qualified tax professional (an accountant), because lawyers are not tax experts.

However, based on what you have said, you have significant legal issues which require immediate attention. Therefore, I strongly recommend that you meet as quickly as possible with a very experienced New Jersey Divorce and Family Law lawyer. Please click on the link below for more information.

3. Dana Whitney Atchley

1

1

Answered . So long as you filed your returns separately, you are not responsible for your husband's back taxes. That being said, however, if your husband has any sort of interest in the house - and I cannot tell that just from your description - then the IRS might be able to seize the house and sell it to pay for your husband's back taxes; if that were to happen the house would be sold and you would be entitled to get your share of the sales proceeds, but you would still have lost the house.

I would strongly recommend that you consult with a competent tax professional in your area now to determine the extent to which you might be exposed to the effects of his back taxes.

www.nytaxcounsel.com

4. Christopher Michael Larson

Pro

Answered . Not unless you live in a community property state.

Tax Attorney
    Tax Lawyer - Seattle
    Tax Lawyer - Bellevue
    Tax Lawyer - Everett
    Tax Lawyer - Renton
    Innocent Spouse Relief Bellevue WA
    Seattle Business Tax Attorney
    IRS Tax Penalties Bellevue WA
    Back Tax Returns Bellevue WA
    IRS Tax Problem Help Bellevue WA
    Offer In Compromise Bellevue WA
    Payroll Tax Problem Bellevue
    IRS Tax Audit Bellevue WA