Am I responsible for HOA fees that are past due on a condo I just purchased

Asked 12 months ago - Stuart, FL

purchased a condo using a quick claim deed. There are HOA fees from previous owner that are delinquent. Am I now responsible for them? The previous owner is now deseased.

1. Barbara Billiot Stage

Pro

Answered . Yes, per Florida law you are liable for any past due assessments from any previous owner, but you can go after the previous owner for reimbursement; however, this is of no benefit to you since the owner is deceased.

2. Richard Paul Zaretsky

Pro

Answered . The question depends on from whom you purchased the condo. If you purchased it from the owner that owed the condo fees when it was transferred to you, then yes, you owe them. If you purchased it from the condominium association, then more questions need to be asked, as the answer may be no. You need to speak with a real estate attorney familiar with association law to be able to get the accurate answer for your specific facts.

3. Vincent J. Gallo

Answered . Most likely