Am I responsible for HOA fees that are past due on a condo I just purchased

Stuart, FL |

purchased a condo using a quick claim deed. There are HOA fees from previous owner that are delinquent. Am I now responsible for them? The previous owner is now deseased.

1. Most likely

2. Yes, per Florida law you are liable for any past due assessments from any previous owner, but you can go after the previous owner for reimbursement; however, this is of no benefit to you since the owner is deceased.

This communication is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. It is always recommended you consult an attorney in person to discuss your case. The Law Offices of Stage & Associates practices state-wide and represents homeowners and community associations. Please visit our website at www.stagelaw.com.

3. The question depends on from whom you purchased the condo. If you purchased it from the owner that owed the condo fees when it was transferred to you, then yes, you owe them. If you purchased it from the condominium association, then more questions need to be asked, as the answer may be no. You need to speak with a real estate attorney familiar with association law to be able to get the accurate answer for your specific facts.

This advice is not specific and is generic in nature and as such should not be relied upon unless given by an attorney you have specifically retained and who has all of the background information necessary to render an opinion to you.