Am I responsible for camp fees that are billed to the grandmother and not my ex?

Asked over 1 year ago - Yonkers, NY

I am responsible for half of my daughter's camp fees but the bill presented by my ex is not addressed to her but her mother. Am I responsible for the bill even though it is not addressed to my ex? Couldn't this be seen as a bill for her mother?

1. Maria C. Tebano

3

Answered . If the camp fees are for your daughter, I don't think that it matters whether they are in the mothers name or grandmothers name. The grandmother is permitted to pay for camp fees for your daughter if she is inclined to do that for her owm daughter, but that doesnt mean that you are not obligated for your half of the expense.

2. Frank Stephen Ieraci

2

Answered . I agree with Ms. Tebano. You are responsible for your daughter's camp fees if the order says you are. It doesn't matter whose name the bill comes in or who else might choose to pay the other parent's share.

3. Bruce Howard Guttman

2

Answered . If you are required by written Agreement or a Court decission, to pay for camp then it doesn't matter who the bill is sent to. Call the camp and have them fax you a copy of the bill. Visit the camp and see if it is a place you want your kid to go. Get involved.

4. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

1

Answered . One needs to analyze the agreement - assuming this was done pursuant to an agreement versus mere order. In addition to you, does it specifically require the mother to pay her portion? That said, I doubt it will actually have consequence as to who's paying the bill on her end. In any event, I encourage you to schedule a follow-up consultation with a Westchester Child Support lawyer.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.