Am I responsible for bank error

Dana Point, CA |

I deposited a check and the bank says I could get cash out in 2 days. I came back and got the money and now come to find out the check was fraudulent and charging me overdraft fees and the amount of that check which was $3,500. Is this my fault that they gave me permission.

I am sorry, but you fell for a very common scam. Under federal law the bank merely has to confirm that the check looks valid. They must release the funds in a certain amount of time and that is before they will know if the check is bogus. Just because they release the funds does not mean the check was good. If the check was bogus, you are responsible. This is not bank error. You were the victim of a scam. Here is some discussion http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0159-fake-checks and http://www.fakechecks.org/index2.html# Sorry and good luck.

This answer is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice regarding your question and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

I agree with my colleague .You need to repay the bank. Ask them for a loan to repay the overdraft.
Some banks assist their customer when they are victims of fraud like you.

Disclaimer:Attorney and Fraud Examiner.One of few that are Certified Fraud Examiners (CFE). The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+. *the certification is not a specialty recognized by the California State Bar.