Am I responsible for all my husband's bills?

Asked about 2 years ago - Bristol, PA

I am looking at divorcing my husband. I recently discovered he has been squandering all the money he receives in his paycheck and has not been timely paying his bills. I am scared he is creating large additional debt and if I divorced him or he died my son and I would be responsible for paying these large sums. How can I prevent being responsible for these debts. I was married in, resided in, and maintained the marital home all within PA. Further we do not own any real property outside the state.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Mary Katherine Brown


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You will have to deal with this in the course of a divorce proceeding so I suggest you immediately contact a local attorney to review all your rights, options and obligations and get started. You can find attorneys in your area by searching among the profiles here on Avvo. Good luck!

    Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@... more
  2. Ronnie Louis Creazzo

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . All assets and debts aqcuired prior to separation are subject to equitable distribution. Their is no potential liability to your son. If they are his personal expenses for personal items you most likely will not be responsible for his expenses. But if expenses are related to or determined to be marital property, then you will be responsible for your equitable share.
    I'm here to help if you are interested. If not, I suggest you contact a local family law attorney for further advise.

    The attorney's answer(s) to question(s) are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client... more
  3. Mark Nickolas Longwell


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You may be liable for marital debt. Hire an attorney to help you with your divorce. This is a common issue that a skilled attorney in your area will know how to handle.

    This content is informational only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  4. Danielle Agnes Peters


    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . Any debts accumulated from the date of your marriage to the date of your separation would be considered marital debt. It is best if you consult with an attorney to discuss your specific circumstances immediately. I would be happy to speak with you further. My firm offers half hour phone consultations and practices in Bucks County, PA. Please contact me at 484-681-9710.

  5. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You need to contact a divorce attorney right away and get the divorce process started. Contact a reputable divorce attorney in your area and go through all the issues.

    You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Debt in a Divorce

Responsibility for debts acquired during marriage may fall upon both parties after divorce, even if only one spouse incurred the debt.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,783 answers this week

3,179 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,783 answers this week

3,179 attorneys answering