Am I responsible for a damage after the hurricane Sandy?

Asked over 1 year ago - Howell, NJ

I have a condo in a high rise building in Jersey City. Hurricane Sandy damaged the pumps in the building and they all had to be replaced. For three weeks there had been WARM water (not hot) and heat in the building. My tenant said that he was unable to take a shower and had to stay at a different place. Now he wants me to adjust his rent ( I haven't discussed the detales with him yet). The only thing I told him that we all in New Jersey had been affected by the hurricane. Some of the people I know lost their houses , cars etc.
Am I supposed to make an adjustment? He said he wants to work this out instead of sewing me if I refuse.

1. Lawrence Charles Kroll

Pro

2

Answered . He would absolutely be entitled to a rent adjustment if the property was not habitable for some or all of the month. If you had done something to affect the hot water, again, he probably would be entitled to an adjustment. Difficulties caused by Sandy, however, might result in a different answer. As you say, the storm affected everyone. I don't know if a Judge would allow a rent adjustment because the storm affected the hot water. You could agree to reduce the rent if you wished, but I can't say that you have to do so.

2. Gergana Hristova Miteva

2

Answered . While some understanding should be expected when so many people have been affected by the storm, landlords are treated as businesses and as such, it is their responsibility to shoulder the burden of restoring premises to a habitable condition.

If there is continually no hot water to take a shower on the premises you are renting out, the value of these premises has dropped. I am sure that if the apartment's value increases for some reason (like a celebrity moves in), you would have no problems raising the rent.
    Your tenant's suggestion sounds reasonable and it is within his rights to demand that the new value of the premises offered be reflected in the rent. Businesses are supposed to offload some of this risk by taking out insurance rather than shifting the responsibility to tenants.