Am I required to give my doctor's office my credit card number, expiration date and security code for them to keep on file?

Orlando, FL |

My doctor's office wants me to give them authorization to use my credit card to bill me any unpaid balance due over 30 days. They want the card number, expiration date and the security code and want me to give them authorization to use the card for any unpaid balance and will keep this information in their files. Is this legal? Am I required to give them this information? Can they refuse to take me as a patient if I don't give them the card account information?

A doctor is running an independent business, and is entitled to set their own fees and payment requirements. If your insurance company doesn't pay or only pays a portion of your bill, how is the doctor supposed to collect the balance? People pay their doctors & their lawyers last & somehow they seem to think that doctors & lawyers are rich & should just give away their services. No one appreciates the costs involved in running the medical practice, including salaries for the staff.

So yeah, if you don't want to give the doctor your credit card, that's ok. Be prepared
to find yourself another doctor, though!

Hope this perspective helps!

horrible answer. condescending at best. read the comments instead for better advice.

Your doctor can require an upfront payment subject to the limitations explained in your insurance documents.

I hope this helps.

Mr. Goldstein is a Virginia-licensed attorney only. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting Mitchell Goldstein or the Goldstein Law Group does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege until otherwise advised.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt