Am I required to give a 30 day notice to ask someone to move out?

Asked over 2 years ago - Chester, VA

This is a person on probation who has been living with me for 4 months. I offered a written notice of 30 days. She refused to sign but did move out the same day. Can she sue me? What do I need to protect myself from litigation?

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

Answered . Nothing can prevent litigation. You can make sure in the future, you don't enter into oral agreements. For now, best thing you can do now is put your agreement in writing (that she agreed to move out). Get her to sign it.

Next best thing, summarize your agreement with her that she move out in a letter you send to her certified mail, RRR.

Finally, don't sweat it--its unlikely she will "sue" you--the vast majority of individuals in such a situation don't.