Am I required to attend a parenting seminar?

Asked over 1 year ago - Kennewick, WA

My son is almost four years old and hasn't been with his biological father since he was 2 months old. The biological father is finally trying to get into the picture and has filed to get a parenting plan going. We were never married and there is no separation going on. I feel like it is not a requirement as it states "designed to inform you about the impact of divorce on your children," etc about divorce. If I really am required I will go.

1. Dave Hawkins

Pro

1

Answered . Yes. before a parenting plan can be entered by the court, both parents must attend the mandatory parenting seminar.

2. Bruce Clement

Pro

Answered . It depends on the Local Rules of your County Court. In King and Pierce counties the seminar is required. Failure to attend will result in the court refusing to enter a parenting plan. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on parenting plans and child custody cases for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Please keep in mind that although these Legal Guides are often informative, they are no substitute for legal advice from an attorney you have retained for consultation or representation. There are always exceptions to the general rules. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "Contributor Level - View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Contribution - Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful” or “best answer”.