Am I protected under the ADA with asthma?

Austin, TX |

I've suffered from asthma for as long as I can remember (20+ years) and I don't remember a time when I haven't had to be on medication because of it. I work at the University of Texas at Austin as a Resident Assistant. My employer is forcing me to move to a different building that is older and further away from bus stops or be fired. Old buildings have been known to harvest mold, which can trigger asthma attacks. The building I currently live in, and have lived in for 3.5+ years, is the closest hall to bus stops and is the second newest hall across campus. I've told my employer that I would like to remain in my current location due to my asthma, but she's not taking my health into consideration. Is there anything I can do to remain in my current location?

You should be protected under the ADA if your medical condition substantially limits one or more major life activities (such as lifting, bending, walking, and performing manual tasks); you have a record of such an "impairment" or you are regarded as having such an "impairment." You can let your employer know that you have asthma and request your employer for an accommodation. This should not be regarded as a legal advice, however. Any questions, see an employment in your area. Good luck, and feel free to read a blog on what you should know about your rights under the ADAAA (ADA Amendments Act, which took effect on January 1, 2009).

Recommended articles about Employment