Am I owed legal fees if the Plaintiff loses because of lack of personal jurisdiction?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Edmond, OK

The plaintiff filed on me in the state of California for a libel suit and I live in Oklahoma and was served in Oklahoma and I do not meet minimum contacts for California to have personal jurisdiction over me. So I filed a motion to quash on personal jurisdiction. The plaintiff has his filing fees waived because he is on SSI and it cost me $435 to respond with my motion to his suit. Since he filed in the wrong venue, can I force him to pay my legal fees once I win the hearing?? I thought that California had a special statute that imposed the defendants legal fees on the plaintiff for filing in the wrong venue???

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Answered . You need to post this in the California section. Most Oklahoma attorneys will be unfamiliar with California civil procedure laws. Good luck.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established. Your best course of... more

Related Topics

Lawsuits and disputes

If you're faced with a dispute that can't be resolved by negotiation, a lawsuit may be necessary. It will allow you to seek a legally binding solution in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,982 answers this week

3,760 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,982 answers this week

3,760 attorneys answering