I came to the US on an H4 and got admitted to a university here. In November, I applied for an F1 visa after having completed the first trimester of the course. A few days later, my husband changed jobs and his H1 was transferred to his new employer. Since I had already applied for a COS, we did not do anything for my H4. Now, it has been over 3.5 months and my visa approval has not come. My visa status is showing as HOLD since March 4. My questions are:
1. Am I in any risk of being out of status if my F1 does not come through
2. Should I have done a H4 transfer? Is that even possible if my F1 COS is pending?
3. Is the delay on the F1 visa potentially due to my husband's H1 transfer?
Usually, the F-1 change of status takes six months to complete. It does not have anything to do with the transfer. You are OK as your H-4 is still valid. If it expired, then you are in a stay authorized by the attorney general since you applied for the COS before your H-4 expired.
Get free answers from experienced attorneys.
25,134 answers this week
2,662 attorneys answering
Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.Browse our legal dictionary