Am I obligated to take care of my daughter while she is spending court arranged visits with her dad?

New York, NY |

I am divorced and I have physical custody of our daughter. Her dad asked me to take care of our daughter for some hours during his court divorce arranged visits hours. I have to work and take driving classes and go to checkup doctor visit. Am I obligated to take care of my daughter if her dad is asking me to take care of her for some hours during his parenting visits? I need to get my driving license soon.

The short answer is no, if it's his time & he's not available, then he'll need to provide for child care for that time. Communicate same to him on a timely basis. You may also consult a NYC Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

My daughter's father told me the law says that when he is not able to spend his arranged parenting time with our daughter, he is not obligated to take care of her daughter nor to make arrangements for child care during his parenting time. He says it is my obligation and it is my only problem to arrange child care in case neither of us is available. Is this true? From your answer, it sounds not true.

David Ivan Bliven

David Ivan Bliven

If there's an order saying the child's supposed to be with him for that time, then in my legal opinion it's his responsibility. That said, I continue to encourage you to schedule a consultation for a full assessment. * If you found my answer to be the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

No, you are not required to do that according to your agreement. Your ex husband should try to make some arrangement for the hours he won't be available. He is basically responsible for this. You, of course, want to be sure that his arrangements are good for your child, but it is up to him to make them. Speak with your divorce attorney.

He can hire a daycare person like any other parent.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Child custody topics