Am I obligated to pay a large retroactive waste management bill more than 6 months old that I recently received?

Woodland, CA |

I have been living at a new address in Woodland, California now for about 8 months now. In the time since I've moved the City's waste disposal contractor (Waste Management) has picked up the bins on my street when I put them out (every two weeks or so).

I just recently received a bill in the mail from WM for over 260 dollars billing the total lump sum. My question is simply this, am I obligated to pay this large amount with no warning and no way to even anticipate an amount I would have to pay? I don't have the money to pay such a large sum. Their trucks have voluntarily emptied my bins up to this point. If they had their system together and billed me when I moved in I would have been able to manage my money to pay them. Please help me

Yes, you are required to pay the WM bill. You were putting your trash cans out and engaging in WM's services. However, I suggest that you contact WM to discuss the possibility of paying the $260 over a longer period of time due to your current financial situation.