Skip to main content

Am I obligated to mail a copy of the Judgment (JUD 100) to the defendant?

San Francisco, CA |

The defendant never responded when he was served in person by the Sheriff so I've won by default. I'm now getting ready to file form JUD-100 with the court but I'm not sure if I have to also send a copy to the defendant.

Attorney Answers 3


If the defendant is in default, you have no obligation to mail anything further to the defendant. However, you may wish to start the ball rolling regarding time to appeal and/or to set aside the judgment. If so, notice is an important part of that equation. If I were representing you we would discuss the matter first but I would probably advise giving notice of entry of judgment. Remember, as a party, you cannot serve documents by mail yourself. A disinterested adult must serve. Good luck.

SINCE 1974. My answers are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers assume California law. I am licensed in California, only. Answers must not be relied upon.<br> <br> Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us.<br> <br> The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential. I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo because I have answered or commented on a question. Specifically, I assume no duty to respond to any question, comment, telephone call, or email because of my participation.<br> <br> All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Mr. Daymude's advice is spot on. You do not have to serve a copy of the proposed judgment on the debtor if his default has been entered. However as Mr. Daymude advises, you might want to do so as soon as possible after entry of judgment in order to start the clock running on the debtor's right to have the default set aside under CCP §473.

I serve notice of entry of judgment as a matter of course, whether the judgment is by default or after trial. A little trick I then use if the judgment is by default is to let the judgment "season" for six months after service of notice of entry. In other words, I advise my client that we should make no collection efforts until termination of the six-month period to avoid a motion to set aside the default. The judgment collects interest at 10% per annum, and that ain't bad. The only caveat to this advice is if you think the debtor is sequestering his money or assets. Then you have to move with alacrity.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


I usually serve notice of entry of judgment on them to start the clock for appeals and motions to set aside to be filed.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Civil motions topics

Recommended articles about Civil motions

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics