Am I obligated to buy renter's insurance?

Dallas, TX |

My landlord is requesting me to buy an insurance before renting his place. Is this normal?

.

1. Are you obligted to buy renter's insurance - not unless there is a provision in a lease agreement that you have entered into that requires you to buy renter's insurance? Is it a normal request for a landlord to request the tenant to obtain rental insurance prior to leasing a property? I appears to be becoming more common. Can the landlord refuse to rent his property to someone unless that person obtains renter's insurance - I do not know not beling licensed in Texas, but I am not aware of any real reason that a requirement of renter's insurance would be invalid. Of course, if you are providing housing under any local, state or federal subsidy programs there may be restrictions on what you can require of a tenant.

This information is provided for general informational purposes and is not intended as legal advice. An attorney licensed in your jurisdiction can answer questions specific to your specific fact situation and provide you appropriate advice as necessary based on the specific facts of your matter and the jurisdiction in which you reside. If you are in Arizona and interested in discussing your matter further I can be reached at: (480) 838-9000 Mark D. Fullerton, P.C. 1839 S. Alma School Road, Suite 275 Mesa, Arizona 85210

2. Yes - the landlord can make that a condition of the lease. And yes, it's pretty normal.