Am I married even though I never turned in paperwork?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Walton Beach, FL

A few years ago I was married to someone. A notary public performed the ceremony and the paperwork was given to me. I never turned in the paper work to the local courthouse, nothing was turned in. After a year or so we separated. He keeps wanting me to pay for a divorce but the state has no record of the marriage.

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

Answered . IF the state has no record of the marriage and you did not pay for the marriage license then there is a strong argument that you may not be married, however there was a ceremony and the Notary may be able to recall that it was done, technically your marriage is voidable, please check with a local FL attny and he or she will help you. take care.