Skip to main content

Am I married even though I never turned in paperwork?

Fort Walton Beach, FL |

A few years ago I was married to someone. A notary public performed the ceremony and the paperwork was given to me. I never turned in the paper work to the local courthouse, nothing was turned in. After a year or so we separated. He keeps wanting me to pay for a divorce but the state has no record of the marriage.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


IF the state has no record of the marriage and you did not pay for the marriage license then there is a strong argument that you may not be married, however there was a ceremony and the Notary may be able to recall that it was done, technically your marriage is voidable, please check with a local FL attny and he or she will help you. take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer