Am I liable to pay back student loans even though they were used for living expenses and not for education costs?

Southfield, MI |

I was laid off in 2009 and went to college which was paid for fully based on the Warren Act qualifications for workers who lost their job due to foreign competition. However, I accepted federal student loans that i needed for living expenses while out of work. Am I liable to pay back these loans even though they were not used to pay for college? Please let me know if there's a loophole here..Thank you

1. The bad news - yes you are responsible to pay back you federal student loans no matter what you used the proceeds for. The good news - there are several programs available to people with federal student loans that will allow you to make the payments manageable. Depending on your employment you may even be eligible to have part or all of your student loan forgiven over time.

2. Yes. Further even if you were to file bankruptcy you can not avoid repaying the college loans because they are exempt from bankruptcy. Because the money was loaned as part of a government loan for education, it doesn't matter what you spent the money on it will still have to be repaid even if you file bankruptcy. You can discuss the situation with a bankruptcy attorney to determine if you have any special circumstances, but generally you are out of luck.
    I wish you well.

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.

3. Yes you are responsible for paying back the loans. You accepted the money and used it. You are responsible.