Am I liable in a hearsay fender bender?

Austin, TX |

I was parked at a local business (private parking lot). Someone double-parked directly behind me, blocking me in. As they pulled out, I started to pull out. They slammed the brakes, and I dinged their bumper with mine. Police were not called, no insurance info exchanged, I was never sent an estimate, and now 2 months later they want me to pay for the repairs and take me to small claims court. Am I liable?

You're likely both at fault, but report it to your insurance company to resolve.

You should turn the matter over to your own insurance for investigation and defense.

Given that you were backing up and their only wrong seems to be double parking, I would say majority fault falls on you. Turn the claim over to your insurance carrier and let them investigate, and be prepared for them to gripe that you didn't promptly report the accident.

Disclaimer: answers posted by attorney Daragh Carter to questions posted on AVVO are NOT privileged or confidential and will not and should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship between attorney Daragh Carter and you or anyone else.

Yes. you are at fault, but I do not know what a "hearsay" fender bender means.

In seeking an attorney on this site, beware of limiting your search to attorneys with a 10 rating, and carefully read the AVVO disclaimer regarding their rating system. There are certain factors that are given great weight which do not necessarily have any bearing on an attorney's experience, abilities, and results with certain types of cases. Accordingly, the rating numbers can be misleading. Also beware of basing your choice on the fee charged, as a low fee, depending on the skill, experience and determination of the specific attorney handling your case, could actually have an inverse relationship to the amount actually put in your pocket.

You may well be found responsible for the accident. Either turn the matter over to your insurance company or hire a lawyer to negotiate the matter for you, and get the proper release.

Hearsay means someone testifies about something they did not actually witness themselves. If the driver witnessed you hitting his or her car, then that is not hearsay.

I hope this information answers your question. If you need more information, simply add a comment or call me. Good luck!