Am I liable in a hearsay fender bender?

Asked 5 months ago - Austin, TX

I was parked at a local business (private parking lot). Someone double-parked directly behind me, blocking me in. As they pulled out, I started to pull out. They slammed the brakes, and I dinged their bumper with mine. Police were not called, no insurance info exchanged, I was never sent an estimate, and now 2 months later they want me to pay for the repairs and take me to small claims court. Am I liable?

1. Daragh John Carter

3

Answered . Given that you were backing up and their only wrong seems to be double parking, I would say majority fault falls on you. Turn the claim over to your insurance carrier and let them investigate, and be prepared for them to gripe that you didn't promptly report the accident.

2. Leroy Brenardo Scott

1

Answered . Hearsay means someone testifies about something they did not actually witness themselves. If the driver witnessed you hitting his or her car, then that is not hearsay.

3. Mark Allen Land

Answered . You may well be found responsible for the accident. Either turn the matter over to your insurance company or hire a lawyer to negotiate the matter for you, and get the proper release.

Pro

1

Answered . You're likely both at fault, but report it to your insurance company to resolve.

5. Richard Todd Rosenstein

1

Answered . You should turn the matter over to your own insurance for investigation and defense.

6. David Ian Schoen

Pro

Answered . Yes. you are at fault, but I do not know what a "hearsay" fender bender means.