Am I liable if someone gets hurt riding my off-road motorcycle?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

If I allow someone ( adult , over age 21 ) to ride my off - road motorcycle , in a designated OH area , and they get hurt while riding it , am I liable for anything if they tried to sue me ?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Michael Charles Doland

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . An ingenious attoney might be able to find a theory of liability. The normal response would be "assumption of the risk".

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may... more
  2. Adrienne Patricia Allen

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Off roading could be considered an inherently dangerous activity to which assumption of the risk may apply as stated by my colleague. However, most likely you will be sued as the registered owner of the motorcycle, which your insurance carrier (if you have one) would take care of for you.

    I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general... more
  3. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Not a good idea. Tell them to rent a bike.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755
  4. John Paul Thygerson


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Why risk it. Tell the other person to get his own off road motorcycle.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now