Am I liable for my husband's medical debt in Oregon? Still happily married!

Roseburg, OR |

My 35 year old husband was diagnosed with cancer and transferred to OHSU for two weeks inpatient care and 1st chemo treatment . He didn't have insurance for those two weeks . We bought insurance effective May 1 , 2012 even though we can't afford it really . He is in remission , still can't work due to severe chemo induced neuropathy . Trying to get SSI and has hearing in April . I am the only income and I don't make enough to cover our living expenses . Headed for foreclosure . Hospital now sending accts to collection - OHSU faculty goes to NCO collection agency and OHSU Hospital and Clinics goes to the State of Oregon DESPITE the fact I have made regular payments . Am I liable for these medical bills ? Bankruptcy isn't an option . Had to file 7 when we lost our jobs a few years ago .

In Oregon, a spouse is liable for the other spouse's medical debt, even if you never signed any paperwork agreeing to be liable. Even though you filed a chapter 7 a few years ago, a chapter 13 may still be an option. Depending on your circumstances, a 13 could also help you to keep your home. I would suggest you consult with a bankruptcy attorney to determine your options. Most offices, like mine, offer free consultations.

Michelle Freed is licensed in Oregon, Washington and Idaho only. Responses to questions posted in this forum do not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Marriage and prenups topics