Am I liable for my husband's medical debt in Oregon? Still happily married!

Asked over 1 year ago - Roseburg, OR

My 35 year old husband was diagnosed with cancer and transferred to OHSU for two weeks inpatient care and 1st chemo treatment . He didn't have insurance for those two weeks . We bought insurance effective May 1 , 2012 even though we can't afford it really . He is in remission , still can't work due to severe chemo induced neuropathy . Trying to get SSI and has hearing in April . I am the only income and I don't make enough to cover our living expenses . Headed for foreclosure . Hospital now sending accts to collection - OHSU faculty goes to NCO collection agency and OHSU Hospital and Clinics goes to the State of Oregon DESPITE the fact I have made regular payments . Am I liable for these medical bills ? Bankruptcy isn't an option . Had to file 7 when we lost our jobs a few years ago .

1. Michelle Kathleen Freed

4

1

Answered . In Oregon, a spouse is liable for the other spouse's medical debt, even if you never signed any paperwork agreeing to be liable. Even though you filed a chapter 7 a few years ago, a chapter 13 may still be an option. Depending on your circumstances, a 13 could also help you to keep your home. I would suggest you consult with a bankruptcy attorney to determine your options. Most offices, like mine, offer free consultations.