Am I liable for code violations if I am not the tenant of the home in question?

Asked over 1 year ago - Clearwater, FL

I live in unincorporated Pinellas County. I was cited by code enforcement for an unregistered vehicle and "debris" on property which I live at. However, I have not signed the rental agreement and the car that was unregistered does not belong to me and has never been in my name.

I want to contest the citations in court but I am unsure whether I am legally liable for the citations or not.

For the record, code enforcement had my name because I was the one who was home and answered the door when they showed up.

1. Barry A. Stein

Pro

1

Answered . Hard to answer this without more facts. How did code enforcement get your name? Are you in possesion of the propery even though you are not the tenant on the lease? What is your agreement with the tenant for payment of expenses at the property? If you have a written agreement you need to have it reviewed by an attorney. If you have no lease, you should notify the tenant who does have the lease asap abou the code violations

2. Robert David Devin

Pro

Answered . Code enforcement typically uses the property owner's name because they are ultimately responsible. Do what you can to help the landlord solve the problem and you may want to call or go down to the city building department and give them something in writing that explains you are the tenant, not the owner, and that the car is not registered to you.

Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship