Am I liable as a homeowner if my roommate's dog bites another dog (or human) on the grounds of my condominium complex?

Asked over 2 years ago - Laguna Beach, CA

If my roommate's dog bites another dog or person on the condominium grounds (not on my personal condo's property, but the common area of the condo association) where I live, am I liable as a homeowner here?

1. Laura Mcfarland-Taylor

Answered . Will you get sued? Probably - anyone can sue anybody for anything. Will the suit be successful? That's impossible to say. I suggest that you require your roommate to have insurance on any pets that will cover bites or injuries caused by a pet and that they sign an agreement indemnifying you in the case of a bite or injury. Such an agreement should be part of any agreement you have your roommate sign. A local attorney can assist you in drafting the agreement. The State Bar of California can give you a referral: www.calbar.ca.gov/

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.