Am I legible for Unemployment Insurance Benefits if I worked on H1 visa and now live in Canada?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

Seems my case is complicated. I worked on H1 for 6 years, NYC. I was basically forced to resign due to some circumstances in the company. Moved back to Canada where I'm a PR. Filed for UI. Got denied because the company said I left for no good reason. Fought the case, had a hearing with the AJ and WON the case! Beforehand, I submitted all the documents they asked me, to prove I worked legally. I did that. I assumed that if the case was forwarded to AJ, I was legible for UI. They granted me the money they owed me for the 5 or so months. Immediately after that I got new letter (same as the initial one) asking me to prove if I worked legally. They stopped my payment. Since then, 2 mo now, still waiting to hear back for some resolution. Getting through the phone system is humanly impossible :)

1. Carlos E Sandoval

3

Answered . Probably this question will be better answered by an employment attorney. I will go ahead an reclasify your question.

2. Gen Kimura

2

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

3. Vincent Peter White

Answered . You need to reside in New York State in order to collect unemployment benefits in New York State.