Am I legally required to provide my auto insurance info to another auto insurance co?

Jacksonville, FL |

I was test driving a freind's car after mechanically working on the car as a private individual. I was involved in an accident and now my friends auto insurance co wants my auto insurance information to share in the damages. Am I legally required to provide the information to them?

1. In Florida you are required by law to exchange insurance information incident to an accident. Typically, this occurs with the other driver or law enforcement at the scene.

Additionally, you are contractually obligated to report the accident and "cooperate" with your own insurance company.

As for your friends insurance company, you don't personally have any obligations, but your friend does.

2. Under Florida Statute 627.4137, you are required to provide the information within 30 days of a written request. I have attached a link to the statute for your review. Additionally, your insurance policy may contain provisions requiring you to report the claim within a certain number of days. Failure to report the claim in a timely manner could result in a denial of coverage, which could leave you personally responsible for any damages resulting from the accident.

Please note: The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. Visiting this site does not create an attorney client relationship between our firm or any of its lawyers and you. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your particular situation.

3. As a contract matter, you need to tell your own company or you will not be covered for the crash. If you tell your company they will tell the orther company. So yes you must tell them if you want coverage.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.