Skip to main content

Am I involving in Age Discrimination?

Los Angeles, CA |

HR demoted me to be a Part Time without prior verbal or written notice with the effective date of One (1) Week after the first day returning from “disability”. HR ignored my request back to Full Time due to my financial difficulty.

Union Agreement states that “a full-time employee, who has been reduced to part-time employment because of slackening of business or for medical reasons, must be offered the first (1st) full-time job that opens in the Company district in which he is currently employed, provided that his ability and skill equip him to fill that job.”

HR hired a full-time young woman who has same family name as hers. HR also hired another Full -Time who is much younger than me in October and she would start her maternity leave on December 6th.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Age discrimination is not established -- or even suggested -- merely by the fact that another employee is younger than you.

    Do you have evidence that an adverse employment action against you by your employer was based on the fact of your age? And are you over 40? Your union agreement rule is swiss cheese (and purposely so, inevitably), but you can ask your union to assert your rights under the contract provision that you have cited here. Unlikely the union will press the issue through arbitration as the provision, as written, leaves the employer with almost unlimited discretion.

    You may have a sound claim based on disability discrimination -- more likely than a claim based on age. .Talk with your union rep and local employment counsel.

    NOTHING SAID HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE! Read this notice BEFORE you contact me! My posts on Avvo in response to the public's questions are never offered as legal advice. Do not rely on any response posted by me as applicable to your specific problem or circumstances. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions - Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me or my law firm. My law firm does not provide free consultations. See for further details on that issue. Please do not call or email me with a “few questions.” I give advice, make recommendations, and answer specific questions only after reviewing the documentary record and other evidence applicable to a specific client, and only in the course of or following a conference with my client in which all of the relevant information can be identified and developed. AND I give legal advice ONLY in the course of an attorney-client relationship created and defined by a written contract for services, signed by my client and by me or a member of my firm, for which payment has been made. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; professional (State or federal licensing agency) discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic disputes involving universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We accept grievances, administrative claims, arbitrations, mediations, negotiations, and other non-litigation matters pertaining to employment, hospital and facility privileges, tenure, and contractual disputes. We conduct seminars and training in employment law for employers and union advocates, and in issues of professional/occupational licensing law for criminal defense attorneys. We accept NO contingency work, and we take no matters for which CCP discovery is applicable.

  2. I see no facts that suggest age discrimination. Perhaps there are some, but you did not post them.

    Your situation suggests you should take two paths from here. First, you should address the violation of the union agreement with your union representative. That is likely the exclusive way to address the violation of that agreement. Second, you should locate and consult with an experienced employment law attorney as soon as possible to explore your facts and determine your options related to a possible disability discrimination case.

    I would suggest you look either on this site in the Find a Lawyer section, or go to, the home page for the California Employment Lawyers Association, an organization whose members are dedicated to the representation of employees against their employers.

    Most employment attorneys who practice this area of law work on a contingency basis, meaning you can hire an attorney without paying any money until the matter results in a positive outcome for you. Many advance all the costs of the litigation as well. Do not let fear of fees and costs keep you from finding a good attorney.

    Good luck to you.

    This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

  3. Sounds more like potential disability discrimination than age discrimination. You should talk with an attorney.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics