Skip to main content

Am I in trouble for Hit N Run?

Los Angeles, CA |

I was in an auto accident today in Los Angeles. I called 911, as I was in shock that was all I could think to do. The said the police will not come unless there is a major injury. He gave me his info and insurance and i took photos of the scene and cars. He admitted that he "did not see me". I got in my car to leave when he said he needed my insurance. I have never given insurance to someone else when I am not at fault - as I am from Texas (with a Cali license) where the police come issue a ticket and referee the scene. I was shaking and in total shock. I said I didn't have to give my insurance to him because he as at fault and I did not want to involve my insurance. I was really distressed by the crash. I left without giving my info, called insurance immediately. Could i get hit and run

Attorney Answers 6

  1. More information is needed. Typically, a hit and run involves failing to identify yourself to the other party, so not sure if you exchanged information or not.

  2. here is the misd hit and run statute:

    20002. (a) The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to any property, including vehicles, shall immediately stop the vehicle at the nearest location that will not impede traffic or otherwise jeopardize the safety of other motorists. Moving the vehicle in accordance with this subdivision does not affect the question of fault. The driver shall also immediately do either of the following:

    (1) Locate and notify the owner or person in charge of that property of the name and address of the driver and owner of the vehicle involved and, upon locating the driver of any other vehicle involved or the owner or person in charge of any damaged property, upon being requested, present his or her driver's license, and vehicle registration, to the other driver, property owner, or person in charge of that property. The information presented shall include the current residence address of the driver and of the registered owner. If the registered owner of an involved vehicle is present at the scene, he or she shall also, upon request, present his or her driver's license information, if available, or other valid identification to the other involved parties.

    (2) Leave in a conspicuous place on the vehicle or other property damaged a written notice giving the name and address of the driver and of the owner of the vehicle involved and a statement of the circumstances thereof and shall without unnecessary delay notify the police department of the city wherein the collision occurred or, if the collision occurred in unincorporated territory, the local headquarters of the Department of the California Highway Patrol.

    (b) Any person who parks a vehicle which, prior to the vehicle again being driven, becomes a runaway vehicle and is involved in an accident resulting in damage to any property, attended or unattended, shall comply with the requirements of this section relating to notification and reporting and shall, upon conviction thereof, be liable to the penalties of this section for failure to comply with the requirements.

    (c) Any person failing to comply with all the requirements of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six months, or by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that imprisonment and fine

  3. Putting aside the vehicle code which has already been identified by another attorney responding to you, your most favorable information is that you did call 911 yourself. If you are very concerned about this issue then you should go to The police department in the area where the accident took place and tell them you would like a police report filed. The questions within the report will identify your insurance company. Though this may be a bit overkill, it will give you the peace of mind you are looking for. Good luck

  4. It sounds like, under the letter of the law, yes you could be. Will you be charged? Highly unlikely.

  5. As my colleagues pointed out, you might be. You could schedule a consultation with a local attorney to investigate this.

  6. Just to add on to what the other attorneys have already said...

    Pursuant to California Vehicle Code, Section 16000, you may be required to file a report of accident with the California Department of Motor-Vehicles. I've linked the code section below as well as the DMV SR-1 Form.

    Best of luck!

    This information is not legal advice, does not create an attorney-client relationship, and is intended for general informational purposes only. Said information is given in the context of California law.

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics