Am I in danger of having my naturalization process terminated/complicated?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Washington, DC

I have been an F1 student for several years and I got married to the US citizen several months before the expiration of my I-20. My husband and I started the naturalization process, filed necessary documents, paid necessary fees, I received employment authorization and we had our interview. I came back to the university this semester to see if I could complete my one last class before the graduation as a DC resident. Well, the needed class was filled up and my International Student Advisor told me that:
1. I am still considered to be an international student (will pay significantly more than a resident)
2. If I do not take any classes this semester the university will terminate my I-20 and that it could cause the immigration to deny my naturalization. Is this true?

1. Michael Gregory Snytkin

5

Answered . This is untrue; the validity of your student visa has no bearing on your successful adjustment of status based on bona fide marriage to a U.S. citizen.

2. Ksenia Alexandrovna Maiorova

3

Answered . You are applying for adjustment of status, not naturalization. Naturalization pertains to the application for citizenship. You are not yet qualified for citizenship; you are currently applying for your conditional resident status. Your adjustment of status application will not be affected by the termination of your I-20.

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

4. Young Ah Ri

2

Answered . As we all know, you must have meant adjustment of status, not naturalization. I agree with my colleague. Your school advisor is wrong. Since your I-485 case has been successfully filed and pending, even if your F-1 is terminated, you are not out of status until the decision is made. In other words, your green card case cannot be denied just because you fail to maintain your F-1 status.