Am I in a hostile work environment?

Asked 5 months ago - Reading, PA

I am singled out and harassed by a co-worker on a daily basis. I have notified management 3 times and each time they say they'll talk to him, which never changes anything, I work for a large corporate company. Are they liable?

1. Michael Lee Kraemer

1

Answered . If you are in a protected class and the treatment is related to that protected class, then they might be liable. Call me for a quick consultation and I will let you know if you have a case or any other remedies.

2. Rocco Ernest Cozza

Pro

1

Answered . A hostile work environment claim is typically based on a protected class, as my colleagues have noted. These matters are very fact specific and from the information you have provided, it is hard to determine whether the harassment is actionable. Please feel free to contact me or any other employment attorney to discuss the specifics of your case.

3. David Herman Hirsch

1

Answered . Hostile work environment in the context of employment typically refers to harassment based upon a protected classification such as race, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, etc. Often employees talk about "harassment" but unless it is based upon a protected classification, it isn't unlawful conduct....

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as Avvo.com are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.