Am I in a hostile work environment?

Reading, PA |

I am singled out and harassed by a co-worker on a daily basis. I have notified management 3 times and each time they say they'll talk to him, which never changes anything, I work for a large corporate company. Are they liable?

Hostile work environment in the context of employment typically refers to harassment based upon a protected classification such as race, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, etc. Often employees talk about "harassment" but unless it is based upon a protected classification, it isn't unlawful conduct....

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as Avvo.com are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

If you are in a protected class and the treatment is related to that protected class, then they might be liable. Call me for a quick consultation and I will let you know if you have a case or any other remedies.

Kraemer, Manes & Associates LLC ("KM&A") and Avvo make it clear that attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only (i.e. this is not legal advice) and do not establish an attorney-client relationship nor are any communications privileged. We are located on the web at www.lawkm.com. At KM&A, we devote our practice to Employment, Business, Personal Injury and Litigation. Employment includes discrimination based upon age, disability, gender, sexual harassment, race, national original, overtime, unpaid wages, military service, among other things. Business includes representation of small business for all types of matters as well as minority-majority shareholder disputes. Personal injury includes automotive accidents, premise liability, wrongful death, and all sorts of other injuries. Litigation includes all types of civil litigation across Pennsylvania. Since an attorney-client relationship has not been created, you must talk to an attorney at 412-626-5560 or m@lawkm.com to see if we are willing to undertake your representation and on what terms. Feel free to view our Universal Terms of Service: www.lawkm.com/clients

A hostile work environment claim is typically based on a protected class, as my colleagues have noted. These matters are very fact specific and from the information you have provided, it is hard to determine whether the harassment is actionable. Please feel free to contact me or any other employment attorney to discuss the specifics of your case.

Please note that the above answer is not intended to be legal advice. It is my personal opinion based on the information you have provided without obtaining a complete view of the facts as I would to render comprehensive legal advice. I advise you to consult with an attorney experienced in this practice area. The fact that I answered your question does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and me.