Am I held responsible if my dog attacks a dog after it roamed onto my property?

My neighbors' small dog was out and walked onto our yard and our big outdoor dog attacked it tearing flesh. We paid $200 of the vet fee but our neighbors are still trying to call animal control on her.

Middleburg, FL -

Jason Todd Studinski

Jason Todd Studinski

Personal Injury Lawyer - Stevens Point, WI

Report to your homeonwer's insurance company to resolve this case. If you do not feel your insurer is protecting your interests, retain a lawyer to help you. Good luck.

George Costas Andriotis

George Costas Andriotis

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Tarpon Springs, FL

Possibly. Report the incident to your homeowners insurance ASAP.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
Dennis Michael Phillips

Dennis Michael Phillips

Litigation Lawyer - Fort Lauderdale, FL

767.01 Dog owner’s liability for damages to persons, domestic animals, or livestock.—Owners of dogs shall be liable for any damage done by their dogs to a person or to any animal included in the definitions of “domestic animal” and “livestock” as provided by s. 585.01.
"Domestic animal" includes dogs per 585.01. 767.01 is a strict liability statute and no defenses are listed in the statute. So, there is a strong civil liability claim against you as the owner. As for whether your dog should be addressed by animal control, I think you should check with your municipal ordinances to see what the local laws are regarding dog attacks.
Your HO policy might be helpful to you, barring a specific exemption for acts of dog; but your deductible may be higher than the total amount of civil damages under the circumstances.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Personal Injury Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Simply report it to your homeowner's insurance carrier, and they will resolve this.

Related Advice