Am i going to go to jail becuase i cannot pay back my payday check loans and title loan because i lost my job and am nowhomeless

Asked almost 2 years ago - Salt Lake City, UT

My bank account is now froze and i believe they are going to try and deposit the check they make you write over to them for the payday check loans and i no longer have a job and i no longer have a home ....... and the title loan i still have the car but not for long

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jeffrey Reid Butler


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . If you wrote a check and were aware you didn't have money in the bank
    account, you may run into problems. A smart thing to do is visit a
    bankruptcy attorney about options very soon. For instance, a Chapter 13
    bankruptcy filing may allow you to keep your car and catch up any missed
    payments over a 3 to 5 year period and avoid having your car get
    repossessed. When talking to the bankruptcy attorney, mention your concern
    about the check not clearing.

  2. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . In Wisconsin postdated checks are not criminal. They are treated like other promissory notes.

    If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

    Thank you.

    --- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

    --- Facebook Page

    --- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in... more
  3. Michael Lawrence Doyle


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Most of the time, the criminal system is aware that if a person is incarcerated they cannot have any means in which to pay bills. That means that at least now you have hope of finding a job and paying things back. If you were in jail you would not. You may be better off notifying them that you have come into this situation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,673 answers this week

2,990 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,673 answers this week

2,990 attorneys answering