Am I going to get into trouble for opening a credit card in my name but with a fake social security number?

Long story short when i was in high school I screwed up my credit card history with my real social and I applied for a credit card with a fake social but in my name and got a 5k unsecured credit card. Can I get into trouble for this?

Beverly Hills, CA -

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland

Business Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

Yes, it's fraud. If you were to seek to declare bankruptcy, your credit card debt would probably be non-dischargeable.

Marilynn Mika Spencer

Marilynn Mika Spencer

Employment / Labor Attorney - San Diego, CA

Of course you can and most likely you knew that at the time you opened the account. This wasn't an innocent mistake, was it? This is fraud against the credit card institution. If you used the card there may be additional violations of law including theft. A criminal record will haunt you for the rest of your life . . . it never disappears or becomes too old to show up in a background check. Your best course of action is to retain a criminal defense attorney who may be able to negotiate a resolution that includes an agreement not to report the crime. If the crime has already been reported and you were a minor at the time, the attorney may be able to get the record sealed.

Neil Pedersen

Neil Pedersen

Employment / Labor Attorney - Irvine, CA

Absolutely. In fact, I think it is a federal criminal offense. You committed fraud on the financial institution that issued the card. But I think you knew that. Why else put a false SSN on the application unless you knew that the credit card company would have rejected you otherwise? You are on very thin ice. Good luck to you.