Skip to main content

Am I going to get into trouble for opening a credit card in my name but with a fake social security number?

Beverly Hills, CA |

Long story short when i was in high school I screwed up my credit card history with my real social and I applied for a credit card with a fake social but in my name and got a 5k unsecured credit card. Can I get into trouble for this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes, it's fraud. If you were to seek to declare bankruptcy, your credit card debt would probably be non-dischargeable.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


Absolutely. In fact, I think it is a federal criminal offense. You committed fraud on the financial institution that issued the card. But I think you knew that. Why else put a false SSN on the application unless you knew that the credit card company would have rejected you otherwise? You are on very thin ice. Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.



If they find out isn't the worse they can do is just close my account?

Neil Pedersen

Neil Pedersen


Nope. You could be prosecuted if they wanted to press charges.


Of course you can and most likely you knew that at the time you opened the account. This wasn't an innocent mistake, was it? This is fraud against the credit card institution. If you used the card there may be additional violations of law including theft. A criminal record will haunt you for the rest of your life . . . it never disappears or becomes too old to show up in a background check. Your best course of action is to retain a criminal defense attorney who may be able to negotiate a resolution that includes an agreement not to report the crime. If the crime has already been reported and you were a minor at the time, the attorney may be able to get the record sealed. *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your claim, you will lose the opportunity to pursue your case. Please consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible to better preserve your rights. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer provides information on Avvo as a service to the public, primarily when general information may be of assistance. Avvo is not an appropriate forum for an in-depth response or a detailed analysis. These comments are for information only and should not be considered legal advice. Legal advice must pertain to specific, detailed facts. No attorney-client relationship is created based on this information exchange. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, and can appear before administrative agencies throughout the country. She is eligible to represent clients in other states on a pro hac vice basis. ***

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer