Am I forced to pay a student bill for a semester of school that I never attended?

Asked over 1 year ago - Newburgh, NY

I made a mistake two years ago by registering for classes & then never attending/withdrawing properly due to the fact that I was misinformed. thinking if I didn't complete the Financial Aid & FAFSA forms that I wouldn't be able to attend. I missed the deadline & never went. A school counselor told me I would need to pay a bill of $4148 in order to be able to attend any classes in the future. This includes a fee of $1950 for a non-resident fee although I am a resident of NY, at that time I didn't fill out the form because I didn't think I would be attending. Due to their policy, they can only accept that form up to 1 year. Now I'm forced to pay a huge bill for something that I got completely nothing out of. If I don't get this settled, I may not even be able to attend another other school.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

1

Answered . This is a dilemma because a legal fight will cost more than the amount of money demanded by the school. Make an effort to try and negotiate a significant reduction in the amount demanded by the school. If that doesn't work, retain legal counsel for the express and limited purpose of negotiating the demand downward.