Am I financially responsible for a child that's 18 and not in school in NY state?

Asked over 2 years ago - Pittsford, NY

I wonder why people keep telling me that 18 is the age of majority in NYS but you are financially responsible until 21. Does this very from state to state, such as SC or FL?

1. Paul Karl Siepmann

Pro

1

Answered . Because 18 is the "age of majority" in NYS but you are financially responsible until 21. Specifically, the Family Court Act makes a parent liable for the support of any unemancipated child under 21. I don't know what the law is in SC or FL, but if you are subject to the jurisdiction of the NY Courts, this applies to you.

2. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

Answered . Yes, this varies from state to state. In NY, parents are usually responsible for child support until age 21.