Am I financially responsible for a child that's 18 and not in school in NY state?

Pittsford, NY |
Filed under: Family law

I wonder why people keep telling me that 18 is the age of majority in NYS but you are financially responsible until 21. Does this very from state to state, such as SC or FL?

1. Because 18 is the "age of majority" in NYS but you are financially responsible until 21. Specifically, the Family Court Act makes a parent liable for the support of any unemancipated child under 21. I don't know what the law is in SC or FL, but if you are subject to the jurisdiction of the NY Courts, this applies to you.

I am not your attorney and any posts/messages or responses to posts/messages can not establish an attorney-client relationship. www.PatchogueAttorney.com You should not rely upon free legal advice and I disclaim any liability for the results if you do.

2. Yes, this varies from state to state. In NY, parents are usually responsible for child support until age 21.

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@hotmail.com. All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.