Skip to main content

Am I expected to pay alimony if I lose my job?

Wheaton, IL |

I'm going through a divorce but layoffs are expected at my company. If I lose my job, am I expected to pay alimony as well as child support?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Your spousal support order can be modified if you can prove that your income has deceased since the time that the order was made. However, it is up to you to file and you can seek to modify it per your changed circumstances,


If there is any possible way, continue to pay the full amount while you take the matter to the court on a montion to modify. There is a court order requiring you to pay, and until the order is modified you want to do everything you can to do what the order says.
Get yourself before the court as soon as is possible. If the money is significant be SURE to GET A LAWYER.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer