Am I entitled to vet bill reimbursement?

Bartlett, IL |

My dog 15 pounds ran to the neighbor dog 150 pounds with leash attatched but we let go and neighbor dog maulled and killed my dog. Neighbor dog killed 1 dog previously to mine.

"My dog 15 pounds ran to the neighbor dog 150 pounds with leash attatched but we let go"

Are you claiming you could not restrain a "15 pounds" dog, or that you LET it run ("we let go") to a "150 pounds" dog that had already killed?

Either way, the greater negligence appears to be yours. If you wish to pursue the issue, contact an animal law attorney in your county.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Your story makes it likely you bear the liability.

Was the other dog leashed? If the other dog was leashed and you let your dog go, you probably don't have a very strong case. Moreover, unless the vet bills are astronomical, it would not make economic sense to file a lawsuit. Try talking it over with the neighbor; I'm sure he/she feels very bad.

You can also report the incident to animal control if you believe the dog is dangerous.

Though we strive to provide accurate legal information in our answers on AVVO, our answer should not be construed as legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Our firm only forms attorney-client relationships by written agreement signed by both our firm and the client. Please seek an in-person consultation with an attorney immediately as almost all legal matters are time sensitive and failing to meet deadlines can result in adverse consequences.

It is difficult to tell based on your answer. There are important issues, such as where this happened. However, you share liability by letting your dog loose. You can try to file a criminal complaint, especially if the dog has killed before. You may want to ask the neighbor if they are willing to share in the vet bill. Another option is small claims court.

Michelle L Radloff 248-767-0239. The advice provided here is provided under the limitations of Avvo's terms of use and does not establish an attorney/client relationship.