Am I entitled to treble damages?

Asked about 2 years ago - Medford, NY

A pet shampoo company has a product that is not labeled correctly and my dog became gravely ill from their shampoo . My dog's injuries came from the chemicals in their shampoo . The shampoo lists the chemical ingredients but did not list the potential side effects of them . eh : toxic , irritant etc . . They are guilty of the False Claim Act . They are willing to reimburse me for the $ 6800 . 00 vet bills but can i ask for treble damages ?

1. 7

Best Answer

Answered . Given the facts provided, I would be pleased with them offering to reimburse the $6,800.00 in vet bills and would try to negotiate for more if you lost time from work to care for your dog, suffered anxiety etc. I think you are a little confused about the "False Claims Act" as that pertains to claims that have defrauded the Federal Government a/k/a a whistleblower or qui tam action. NY has some consumer protection laws to cover your claim but your claims are not well suited for class adjudication and, to be frank, bringing a lawsuit would be cost prohibitive. So, I would try to get compensation for any lost time from work and perhaps for the emotional distress it caused. Best of luck to you.

2. 5

Answered . The False Claims Act (31 U.S.C. §§ 3729–3733, also called the "Lincoln Law") is an American federal law that imposes liability on persons and companies (typically federal contractors) who defraud governmental programs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_Claims_Act

3. 5

Answered . A local lawyer could likely negotiate more.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  4. 4

Answered . I agree. Try to negotiate for more money.